Thursday, May 15, 2008

The sheltered life

I've recently learned that growing up in a sheltered home could yield good benefits and horrible consequences as well. These horrible consequences consist of awkwardly embarrassing moments when someone asks you a question about something that your sheltered, innocent mind has no idea what it is. Next thing you know, you answer with a scrambled sentence of words that don't make sense and you're being laughed at. It's a horrible feeling and being raised in a home where we never missed a Sunday school class, I definitely went through these awkward moments when you realize that you are different and you all of a sudden become obsessed with growing up and becoming more knowledgeable about things your parents would be shocked to hear you thinking about. And unfortunately, out of all the kids living in our house, it was the worst for me because I was the oldest kid living in the house and had no one to teach me the slang and the 'dirty' words and what everything meant. The rebelious side of me actually sometimes hates that I grew up in a sheltered home. I love my family and my parents are doing an amazing job raising 4 kids and a new grandchild. I just sometimes wished that I wasn't so sheltered. I've had morals and guidelines imprinted in my head for so long and now, those morals are being challenged. The things I've grown up learning-smoking kills, drinking is bad, don't have sex until you're married-these ideas are now being challenged on a weekly basis. It's hard not to give in to the pressure when your best friend starts smoking or when everyone around you is having sex and blowing it off like it's not a big deal. Or maybe when someone starts to tell stories about when they got hammered over the weekend and wound up running from the cops and it was 'one of the funnest times of my life'. It's hard to want to keep your morals safe and not want to compromise them. This has become one of the greatest struggles in my life. I always thought that I could be strong and not ever give into any temptation. I always knew that I would just turn the other way and 'just say no'. However, that gets harder and harder to do every day. The only thing keeping me from doing it is knowing that the guilt and shame will overtake me. I know that I'll breakdown and feel so guilty. This is the worst part about growing up sheltered. It just sucks when all of your cousins that are your age are bragging about doing the same things that I've been trained never to do. It makes me think, 'why did I have to be the one who grew up in the sheltered home? Why couldn't I have been the one that was raised to not care?'. Out of all of my family, I can safely and accurately say that my family is the only one that was raised differently. Therefore, we are different from the rest. I hate feeling this way. It's my rebelious side starting to seep out to show it's ugly face. I feel bad because I want to experiance the 'bad' side. I want to just live for a day without regret and without the feeling of guilt nagging at me. I just want to be 'bad' for a day. Just so that I know what it's like. I'm curious. And like they say, "curiosity killed the cat". It's hard for me to be strong anymore. I becoming weaker day by day and I hate it. I wish I was strong enough to hold up. I wish I was strong enough to just be able to fight back.


Listening to: Death Cab For Cutie

6 comments:

JandK Walters said...

actually love u r strong enough, u r the stronger one. it is just a sexy carrot- its always out there dangling at 17 and 26. that choice, the easy choice, to chase all things shiny- is always there. but remember as sheltered as u might have been, the choice is always urs. u r the one in control and u r the one who in wisdom and strength is really experiencing life. life seeking real joy, contentment, friendship, family, loyalty and just all around abundant goodness. this is way more rebellious than ur friends-anyone can get chased by the cops. those things dont always look as sexy as the carrot and trust me i still get lured by that damn carrot some days but they r sweeter, no doubt u r living the more rebellious, sweeter life. i lov u.

GD said...

Kate,
There are always two sides to every deal. I think we need to ask why did God allow me to have great parents? Why didn't God give those folks parents who care? Why are people suffering in China today because of the earthquake and I am able to eat pizza and drink whatever. Yeah..I know I am 45 and don't understand life as a teenager...but I wish I didn't know the cuss words I know and when folks try to convince me that they are having fun when I know they are miserable with no future, I call them a "liar". Experiencing everything is not freedom and being unsheltered. You have the world in the palm of your hand...and all the gifts and tools to make it happen...I would trade places with you any day!!!!

Linda Roberts said...

wow...there is so much i want to say to you...all i'll say is i am proud of you for your honesty. Putting your feelings out there for us all to read takes guts. It proves how strong you really are. i love you and i am proud to call you my friend.

Gore Family said...

As your you older sister and the closest one to have walk where you have walked, I can honestly say, "PLEASE DON"T BUY THE LIE!" I struggled with the SAME thoughts each and everyday...thinking "my parents trust me so much they didnt even give me a curfew...I could take such advantage of that and do whatever I wanted" and some days every part of me was on the brink...but something held me back and its the same thing that I believe has held you back this entire time....you have integrity kate; whether you know it or not. These choices you make every day take courage, integrity, wisdom and knowledge far beyond a typical 17 years old - This is what I would do if I were you; go home and thank mom and dad for raising you with the integrity to make your own choices; realize that it's not a curse but a blessing to choose good over evil; be the first teenage I know including myself to choose not to buy the lie; battle the enemy daily because it is him who is attacking you, it is him who has made you doubt everything good and right in your world; and be a kid! Pray hourly if need be to find that childlike faith inside and have freedom in Christ! I love you and am here for you always - I also am so proud that you are my sis!!

Gore Family said...

P.S - Jon and I like to think we too have a small role in the grandchild rearing!! JK

bethiemae said...

Man oh man I so wish I had those morals in my early 20's.

Yeah this temptation is a battle - mine are different tempations but dude they're a struggle just about everyday. Like smoking - I quit smoking but I still every now and then think one won't hurt....
I know I don't technically know you but can I just say how proud I am of you and your thoughts and you're just so strong!!!

I so so wish I hadn't done more than 1/2 the stuff I did when it was just having fun - but on the other hand I did learn from those mistakes too.. I don't know.